Jewish Heritage Tour in Turkey
Duration : 12 Nights
Day 1 ( Arriving Istanbul )
- Arrival at Istanbul International Airport, pick up and transfer to the hotel. Overnight in Istanbul.
Day 2 ( Byzantine and Ottoman Relics Tour )
- 08:15 am pick up from the hotel and depart for the tour. Visiting ; Haghia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Hippodrome, Grand Bazaar and Topkapi Palace. The tour ends around 4:00 pm. Return back to the hotel and overnight in Istanbul.
Day 3 ( Bosphorus Cruise and Two Continents )
- 08:15 am pick up from the reception and depart for the tour. Visiting Spice Bazaar, Bosphorus Cruise for an hour, Rumeli Fortress (vision from the sea), Beylerbeyi Palace, Bosphorus Bridge and Camlica Hill. Tour ends around 5:00 pm. Return back to the hotel and overnight in Istanbul.
Day 4 ( Jewish Heritage Tour Istanbul )
- 08:30 am start after breakfast for a full day tour in centuries-old Jewish neighborhood, Galata, with its tower built by the Genoese. Visit Neve Shalom Synagogue & Ashkenaz Synagogue, drive to Balat along the Golden Horn where the Star of David appears on the facades of some buildings. Visit to Ahrida Synagogue, built in the 15th century. If required, lunch at Jewish Hospital (Or-Ahayim). Visit to the special "Exhibition of the Quincentennial Foundation" about the Jews in Turkey, upon private randezvous, and the Jewish Cemetery, where the martyrs of Neve Shalom are buried. Last stop at Ortakoy, first disembark point of Sepharads, welcomed by the Ottoman Sultan, and visit to Etz-Ahayim Synagogue. After the tour return back to the hotel and overnight in Istanbul. Passports required before and during the tour. Synagogues are closed on the weekends.
Day 5 ( Izmir)
- Morning departure to the airport. Flight to Izmir and transfer to the hotel in Kusadasi. The sightseeing begins on Havra Sokak (better known as the street of synagogues); visit the 200 years old active Seniyora Synagogue. Continue on to the Karatas quarter to see the Beth Israel Synagogue, in Ottoman-Victorian style. Next, take a ride on the Asansor, a 19th century hilltop funicular, before stepping into the Archaeological & Ethnographic Museum. Drive up to Kadifekale hill overlooking the city and the bay, to enjoy a coffee. Overnight in Kusadasi.
Day 6 (Sardis )
- Excursion to Sardis, once the capital of the Lydian kingdom, where a large and prosperous Jewish community resided in its heyday as a Roman city. Visit the ruins, including the enormously rich Roman Synagogue. After lunch return to Izmir. Overnight in Kusadasi.
Day 7 ( Ephesus )
- Excursion to Selcuk, where you will visit the ancient Greco-Roman city of Ephesus. EPHESUS which is known to be the Commercial, the Religious and the Social Center of Antiquity, and one of the Highlights of any Visit in Turkey. Ephesus is probably the best combination of Greek, Roman and Byzantine civilisations. You will visit the Fountains of Trajan, Polio, the Temples of Hadrian and Domition, the Library of Celcius, Bouloterion and the Great Theatre with a capacity of 24.000 spectators. After that we drive to the House of the Virgin Mary. Return to Kusadasi and Overnight.
Day 8 – 9 – 10 ( Cappadocia )
- Flight from Izmir to Cappadocia. Depending on the day of the week, you will either fly directly or via Istanbul. Arrival in Cappadocia, pick up and transfer to the hotel. Overnight in Cappadocia.
- Day 9 at 09:30 am pick up from the reception and depart for the tour. Visiting Devrent Valley, Monk's valley (Pasabagi) where you will find the world renowned fairy chimneys. After lunch break continue on to the Goreme Open-Air Museum where you will visit the numerous rock carved churches and monasteries. Tour will end with a visit to Uchisar, a natural rock castle. Transfer back to the hotel around 5:00 pm. Overnight in Cappadocia.
- Day 10, at 09:30 am, depart from your hotel to visit Red valley, and explore the famous rock- cut churches and walk 4-5 km through the Gulludere valley. Then visit Çavusvillage. This village is famous for the houses and churches of the Christian clergymen. After lunch drive to the Pigeon valley. In the afternoon visit Kaymakli underground city where early Christians lived in fear and faith. Transfer back to the hotel around 5:00 pm. Overnight in Cappadocia.
Day 11 ( Ankara )
- Transfer to Ankara after breakfast (3 hrs drive). The day's sightseeing covers the Anatolian Civilizations Museum, the Mausoleum of Ataturk, Angora Castle and the Jewish quarter of Samanpazari. Check into the hotel after the tour and overnight in Ankara.
Day 12 ( Fly back to Istanbul )
- Transfer to Ankara airport after breakfast. Flight back to Istanbul. Arrival in the airport, pick up and transfer to the hotel. Afternoon at leisure. Overnight in Istanbul.
Day 13 ( Goodbye )
- Pick up 3 hours before your international flight and transfer to the airport. Have a safe journey back home !.